Training the Next Generation of Biologists
The goal of the Department of Developmental and Cell Biology is to launch the careers of the next generation of scientists who will tackle some of the most important questions facing humankind. Our program has a strong emphasis on teaching students how to conduct state-of-the-art research in a rigorous manner while at the same time providing them with the soft skills that will help them be successful throughout their careers.
Centers and Institutions
8 Different Research Focuses
Research programs of the Department of Developmental and Cell Biology focus on molecular aspects of the development of eukaryotic organisms, on the molecular interaction of cells in tissue differentiation, and expression and function of genes related to the biogenesis of organelles and cellular constituents. The main emphasis of research training is in the molecular aspects of cells and development, and the utilization of biotechnology. The Department maintains facilities for research that include genetic, molecular, and biochemical techniques and also has facilities in advanced electron optics, microsurgery, microinjection, and neurophysiology.
- Beckman Laser Institute
- Chao Family Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Center for Complex Biological Systems
- Developmental Biology Center
- Institute for Genomics and Bioinformatics
- NSF-Simons Center for Multiscale Cell Fate Research
- Sue and Bill Gross Stem Cell Research Center
- Transgenic Mouse Facility
- UCI Optical Biology Core Facility